2009-08-30

Waiting for the 9/3 MRI...

I've been in a pretty good mood these days. Other than the occassional shopping and dinning out, I've been doing the following:
1. Skype with Evie
2. Watching a few stocks in the US market, managing my little portfolio trying to make a few bucks
3. Learning German using Rosetta Stone
4. Swim
5. Make (and drink) my daily multi-fruit/veggie drink
6. Play the digital piano
7. Read books on my iPhone 3G (eReader)
8. Play games on my iPhone 3G
Time goes by pretty quickly this way. I'm looking forward to the MRI scan on 9/3 and my next doctor's appointments on 9/11. Once we know how I'm doing, we'll be in a better position to decide what next...

We seriously considered settling in Taipei but find it not a realistic option. Here are the pros and cons of moving to Taipei:
Pro 1: I am close to my parents and bro
Pro 2: I have easy access to very good medical care. I can be proactive in managing my health: pay for tests/scans I'd like to get done and find problems sooner than later.
Con 1: Housing costs 2-3 times more than in Toronto
Con 2: Salary in Taiwan is low - both of us need to work to support ourselves
Con 3: We have nobody to take care of Evie (I don't trust any none-family help, and not that we can afford them anyway)
Con 4: Evie will be the only child in the household
Con 5: Evie's education - eventually we'll still want her to receive North American education
Con 6: We are away from my grandparents, who are 80+ in age, and they really love Evie

Pros and cons of returning to Toronto:
Pro 1: Housing we already have
Pro 2: Just hubby working can already support ourselves
Pro 3: I can take care of Evie with the help of Stanley's mom and sis
Pro 4: Evie has the company of Ella (Stanley's sister's daughter, who's 1 year younger than Evie)
Pro 5: We are close to my grandparents
Pro 6: Evie's education will be exactly what we want her to receive
Con 1: Medical care in Canada is more reactive with no options to get tests/scans done if the doctor deems unnecessary, not even if I'm more than willing to pay for it.
Con 2: I'm away from my parents and bro

It seems I will have much less to worry if we do not move to Taipei, regardless of my health situation. My top priority is Evie and my preference to stay home for a few years until I'm no longer haunted by cancer and that Evie becomes old enough to go to school by herself. Of course, I accept the possibility that my analysis is not thoroughly objective; therefore, I welcome any thoughts and recommendations from you people~ Thanks a lot!

2 comments:

蛋治 Canchi said...

well, then may be a semi-annual trip to Taiwan is a good option? or 3 times a year?

Winnie said...

Is going to the States for check ups an option? I do agree that education in North America is better for children.