2009-11-13

Having the first cold in the recent 3 years

It's been 9 days since I got this cold. I've been feeling mostly stuffy and runny nose, some coughs, sore throat at night, and a bit drowsy. I've used up numerous tissues and my nose is still producing forever more. This cold is however nothing compared with the kind of colds I used to get 3 years ago.

Ever since I left high school, I was getting hit with the cold more frequently as the years went by. Each cold usually took me 3 -4 weeks to get rid of. My "career high" was in the fall of 2004, when I started working at AIRMILES. I was having the cold almost every month for the whole season. Then I started taking Cold FX, which sort of helped stop the nonstop colds I was getting. I was still getting the cold every couple of months. Such was the way of life, I felt. Then the strangest thing happened when I got pregnant with Evie. It was like I was suddenly immune from the cold.

After I gave birth to Evie in July of 2007, I was still immune from the cold. So I thought I was much healthier than before because of all the activities of being a mom. But of course, I was sadly mistaken, because in late November of 2008, I was diagnosed with cancer. So I received 2 rounds of radiation+chemo therapy, December 08 to January 09, and June to July 09. People kept telling me my immune system was down during chemo, but still I was perfectly immune to the cold, while people around me took turns to get it. Isn't that funny?

So... After the pregnancy, breastfeeding, and cancer, during which time I never once got a cold, now I'm sort of back to some kind of normal state? Whereby I am able to get the cold again? Then it must be a good thing that I am no longer immune to the cold! I so want to be normal agian.

1 comment:

sp said...

interesting normal :P