2009-05-20

Cancer it is.

i just received the call from Dr. Chung at Sun Yat-Sen Cancer Center. He confirmed that the thing giving me trouble is indeed cancer. I'm glad we didn't get an inconclusive biopsy result because if we did then the treatment will be very difficult to plan. As it is now, we have no more doubt, and the dr can let us know precisely what our next steps are. We will see him first thing tomorrow morning and i will also have my radiation treatment planning session then. i think it means i'll get tatooed again (just a few tiny black spots) which will help aligning my body under the radiation machine so they can accurately beam me every time. i think radiation will start on Monday and it will be everyday from Monday to Friday, 10 minutes per day, and I will receive supplementary chemo once a week that will strengthen the radiation treatment. This treatment will take approximately 6 weeks. Then i'll get a couple months break before the chemo regime. Anyways. More details to follow on that.

Thanks for all of your prayers for me. Please don't be distressed by my illness. I'm happy about the biopsy result because it provides us a clear direction and there are proven technologies that will be used to take care of my case. And this time around, i have a much better connection with the doctors and nurses - oh man, language really matters in times like these... for me anyways! i'm much more communicative to the doctors and nurses in Taiwan. And i intend to be a good patient. So, please don't worry about me :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow....don't know what to say....which is weird b/c I've always so much to say. Mostly BS, but still is saying something. Not much...but something...right? I am glad to see that you're strong and optimistic b/c it makes me feel better to see that you're OK. Which again is kinda weird b/c as your friend I should be comforting you in times like this but instead it is the strength that you're showing that is bringing comfort to me. Damn, here I go rambling on and on again...see, never believe me when I say I have nothing to say b/c I am just so full of crap I can BS forever and ever..hehe:)...I know, I'll shut up now....just one last thing...need a huge favor from you...GET WELL AND GET WELL SOON!!!..I miss you and Stan a lot :(

sp said...

You and Stan are in our thoughts. You will always have our support!

Carmen said...

You are an amazing woman. So honest, so straight forward. (I love the part where you say you don't want to be strong. But honestly, you are probably one of the strongest person I have met.) Thanks for all the updates on your progress so we know how you are doing. Well, it's gonna be difficult months again, but I'm certain that you will get through with it fine with your strength, love and support from your friends and family. Little Nathan is praying for you every night before he goes to bed la :) Hope everything goes well, and take care.

Unknown said...

Hi Mia, just heard this news from Ray and I know you and Stan back to TW. Me and Yee wish you all the best and come back with healthy. Eventhough we not not talk too much but we still think of you and supporting both of you and Stan. Let us know when you 2 back to Toronto, then all of us will have dim sum and BBQ as our usual summer activity. We support you all the time!
We wait for your come back!!
Add Oil.. p(^_^)q
Ben & Yee.

Johnson said...

Best wishes with your family's move to Taiwan and hope you have a speedy recovery! 加油!

Jay Tong said...

Hi Mia,

Wish you all the very best with the treatments. Please eat healthy! I'm glad the treatment plan is very clear now. I know our family knows a lot of great doctors in Taipei, so you're in good hands!

I love reading your blog. Great job!

Love,
~Jay

CT said...

Just come across your blog one hour ago. I am shocked by your journey.... You must be too.... a year ago, you were totally okay.

I want to say maybe it will be nice to have your daughter around even just for a few cuddles everyday.... you must miss her so much and I bet she misses you too.

Another thing to add. Please don't say it is your wrongdoing which causes your cancer. It is not your fault.

All the best wishes to you and take care.