I felt really good and energetic on Monday morning. I was all ready for the chemo stay at the hospital. I even packed my own lunch with meat sauce made by David, complete with fruits. I was in a real good mood.Usually on Mondays I would go in and get blood test done first. Then I wait for the result to determine if I am able to receive chemo or not. Unexpectedly, I was rejected this week. The nurse told me my two liver health indicators are too high to safely receive chemo. The two numbers were in the 18-25 range in the previous 2 weeks but this wk they were about 250. Normal is about 50. She consulted with my chemo dr. and the decision was to stop chemo until we know what is wrong with my liver. I was scheduled an ultrasound examination the next day, and another blood test on Thursday. The ultrasound didn't reveal anything remarkable, which meant no visible cancer in liver. The blood test was confusing as one indicator went higher to 500 something, and the other number went down to 100 something. Chemo dr. decides he cannot give me chemo next Monday either. I'll have to meet with a digestive system specialist on Monday to see what is wrong with my liver before he considers resuming my chemo.
In the mean time, I still continue with radiation treatment. However, the effectiveness of radiation treatment alone is not as good as radiation combined with chemo. The success rate is about 80% with chemo and 70% without. So I really hope we will be able to debug my liver as soon as possible so I can resume chemo during my remaining radiation treatment.
I'm not sure if it was because of the abrupt stop on chemo or what. I haven't been feeling well since Wednesday. I had constipation again for a couple of days and followed by diarrhea for a couple of days. I've been having more pain in my tummy. I've also been feeling more nauseated since Thursday and I actually puked a little on Friday night. I thought I should feel less nauseated without chemo but it seems I got more nauseated towards the end of the week. But then again, in Phase 1 I was also nauseated from radiation alone (towards the end when I was done with chemo) so I shouldn't be surprised.
However, bodily discomfort did not hamper my good moods. I continue to feel good about being alive and being me. I think I am the luckiest person in the world. My family takes such good care of me and my hubby and my daughter. While I'm being treated, I don't need to worry about anybody else or work or anything at all. My sole responsibility is to get well again - Have you ever heard of any other sick person who has no responsibilities other than his/her own sickness?! So I am really really fortunate, much more fortunate than any of my family members who have to take care of me, take over my responsibilities, and on top of all that still have to worry about my well being. I am really grateful for the love and support from my family and friends. I must beat the cancer so I'll be able to repay them a little!!
2 comments:
oh dear~
There is no "best thing" to say so I'll just "beam" my encouragement directly to your heart.
^_^
I am so glad you are in such good spirit even though you are facing a little bump in your treatment process and physical illness. Keep up the spirit, "A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones." - Prov 17:22
Post a Comment